Monday 21 July 2014

Some People Are So Poor All They Have Is Money

It never occurred to me that 'being poor' should effect my lifestyle. I always found ways round things. I hope when my children grow up they never feel that they have been 'materially deprived' of 'life's necessities'. I also hope they never feel they missed out on 'positive life experience's' because of our 'financial situation'.

When my first beautiful and amazing daughter was born I was 16. We had our own tiny little council house, she went to nursery from a young age and I went to college and then work. I felt an incredible burden of guilt and shame about my situation. It was a painful load to carry. I saw other people my age (especially at work) going out, buying nice clothes, driving cars etc, as they lived at home with their parents and didn't have any responsibilities. I felt so weak and incompetent. I so worked hard but had so little disposable income.

However, I was truly blessed by a friend that taught me how to live a thrifty but sumptuous, lush, beautiful lifestyle. The best things in life truly are free! ...or at least very cheap! I learned how to cook cheaply from scratch, sew clothes and soft furnishings, decorate my house inexpensively and have fun on a budget. She was the big sister I always wanted and taught me all about personal style 'on a shoe string' too.


So that was the beginning of my journey, 17 years ago... I have seen prices rise as well as unemployment, friends lose their homes, and families struggle to pay rent and buy food. Yet the media ignores the 'real world' and still tries to entice us into a fantasy world where we all have an endless supply of money to buy 'things' that will make us 'happy'. Debt in this country is rising. It worries me how many people I know have debts to catalogues, pay day loan companies, and for basic essential household items for wildly inflated prices compared to what the item is worth. This is no way to live, and not the way I live.

I have been looking for a blog that shared my passions and interests but didn't buy into the media hype of materialism and fast fashion. I couldn't find what I was looking for all in one place... So I decided to create my own. I hope I can connect with like minded people as well, as surely I am not the only person in the world who thinks like this?

Hope you have a fantastic day and here's some more songs to leave you feeling happy and uplifted! Morcheeba- Be Yourself Passenger- Things That Stop You Dreaming

Love Toria

No comments:

Post a Comment